Want to know why red gurnard’s popularity is rising in recent years? want to know what are the best ways to cook Red Gurnard? and also what are the secrets for its super health benefits, meaty texture, mild and sweet taste. Rather than discarded fish used as bait, it becomes a valuable choice for table meals. The low oil content, sustainable availability, and great pairing for soups boost the red gurnard fish demand to an all-time high.
Does it click your mind to buy the red gurnard fillets for baking or pan frying? But wondering where to buy it? Welcome, you are in the right place. Here, at The Cornish Fish Co, we have fresh Red Gurnard Fillets for you. Continue reading the post if you want to know more about gurnard and the tastiest ways to cook it.
What Is Red Gurnard?
The bizarre-looking red gurnards are bottom-dwelling fishes. They are commonly found along the muddy seabed and gravely bottoms of the UK seas to about 50m depth. Red gurnard love to eat crustaceans, shrimps, crabs, and worms. Sometimes they are called “Sea Robbins”.
Red Gurnard has a red-brown to grey-brown colour with a distinct head and tail. They can grow to 50cm and have an average weight of 1lb. They have large heads and eyes protected by bony spines and yellow dorsal fins.
The Summer season is best for fishing red gurnards as they tend to form shoals. The winter season is their spawning season. They are readily available in April, May, August, and September. Red gurnard is catching the attention of seafood lovers with its great taste and very economical price.
What Does it Taste Like?
As stated above, Red gurnard feeds on crustaceans and shrimps, that’s why they taste mild and sweet. Its flaky and meaty texture is best for cooking and delicate for eating. The best thing is, it is quite more affordable than lobsters and other fishes.
Whether you are a home chef or a restaurant lover, red gurnard will become your top choice for a seafood meal. Its firm white flesh can be cooked in various ways with great taste and colour. Now, it is not underrated like a few years before but loved for its taste and firm meat.
Red gurnard fillets are low in calories and cholesterol but protein-rich. They constitute a sufficient concentration of HDL, Omega-3, and Calcium. All these vitamins and minerals boost heart health, improve cognitive function and increase muscle strength.
Where to Buy Red Gurnard?
Red gurnard fish is no doubt a lower cost highly nutritious fish, but to avail of its true benefits, we recommend buying fresh fish online that is rightly preserved and packed. The Cornish Fish CO understand your needs therefore, we have the best fresh red gurnard fillets online. Order your red gurnard fillets and get fish delivered to your doorstep. If you are looking for different flavours, you can order our catch of the day box. It comprises various fishes like red gurnard, monkfish, and many others.
Best Ways to Cook Red Gurnard
Now, it’s your turn to skip overfished seafood and replace it with healthy and tasty red gurnard fillets. You can follow these recipes for the delightful taste and flavour of unique seafood.
Pan Fried Red Gurnard Fillets
- Red Gurnard fillets 300gm
- Season the fish with salt and some flour. Place the pan over the stove and heat it. Pour some butter and melt.
- Slow down the heat and add the fish fillets. Don’t overcook on the high flame but gently cook in the butter.
- Baste fish with butter and cook until lightly golden. It would take 6-7 mins.
- Then turn the side of the fillet and cook again while basting until both sides are golden.
- Dish out the fish and drizzle with some butter and pepper and squeeze lemon juice.
- The captivating fish with a unique taste is ready to eat. Serve it with boiled potatoes and cabbage as your desire.
Baked Red Gurnard Fillets
- 300gm red gurnard fillets
- Salt and pepper
- Unsalted pepper
- Bouillabaisse sauce
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Keep the fillets in the baking dish. Top some olive oil to the fillets and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the red gurnard filets for about 7-8 minutes. Dish out when properly cooked. Don’t overcook. The fillets can turn rubbery.
- Heat the Bouillabaisse sauce in the pan and whisk some butter about 5g.
- Serve the baked red gurnard fillets with sauce and your preferred baked vegetables to enjoy the sizzling seafood.
If you want to get your hands on nutritious red gurnard filets, contact The Cornish Fish Co. Visit our online shop and buy fresh red gurnard fillets online delivered to your doorstep with freshness and taste.